When searching for local services and products, more Americans are using mobile devices rather than traditional computers.
Geolocation is an effective marketing technique that uses mobile technology to drive local sales. It can be used to optimize profits and increase the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.
What is Geolocation Marketing?
Geolocation marketing involves using the physical location of a customer to guide a company’s advertising. Satellites or cell towers collect information on the location of customers. Businesses can use this information to get a better understanding of the location and spending habits of potential customers.
Geolocation is a unique form. SMS (short message service) marketing, for example, lets companies send text messages about their products and services to customers without knowing where they are. MMS is similar to SMS but includes additional media such as images or videos. Customers can get business information by scanning QR codes with their mobile devices. Geolocation is a powerful marketing tool.
Geolocation Marketing: Benefits and Uses
Businesses can benefit from geolocation in a number of ways:
- Targeted audiences. Geolocation enables marketers to reach customers who are physically close to their businesses, increasing the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.
- Information about existing customers. Mobile technologies allow current customers to write reviews and discuss products. Geolocation technology, which monitors Social Media, can be used by marketers to track this data. They can then predict behavior and increase awareness of brands.
- Rewarding loyal clients. The use of social media can increase sales and encourage loyalty. Marketers who track their visitors’ frequency are better equipped to offer incentives, such as discounts, special treatment for regulars, and recognition.
- Targeting potential customers. One of the most important benefits of geolocation is its ability to attract new customers. Geolocation marketing allows businesses to convert foot traffic and online traffic into customers in brick-and-mortar locations. Companies can take advantage of impulse purchases and even out “bumps” during the day by reducing periods of inactivity.
- Measurable results. Businesses can track geolocation and get tangible results in terms of customer traffic and sales. Companies can also improve their search engine ranking by utilizing geographically-based review sites such as Yelp.
Marketers who want to make the most of these opportunities need to be familiar with all of the available geolocation tools.
How to reach your audience
Geotargeting. Geotargeting is the most widely used form of geolocation. This format allows marketers to track the IP address of a Web browser. This level is ideal for marketing large areas, like entire states or cities, because IP addresses cannot target specific audiences.
- Geofencing. At this level, marketers are able to target smaller areas, such as streets or neighborhoods. Geofencing is also applicable to entire cities. Geofencing allows marketers to pinpoint the location of a customer and track their movements. This type of geolocation is ideal for businesses that want to increase foot traffic. However, it’s less effective when used for very large or very specific campaigns.
- Beacons. Small devices placed in certain physical areas are the most effective way to geo-locate marketing. Beacons receive data via Bluetooth signals from smartphones. This technology allows you to market to customers based on where they are in the space. Beacons work well in areas with poor reception, such as department stores. They are limited in their communication range, they depend on the Bluetooth signal being active, and they may be difficult to manage and place on public property.
Geolocation marketing can be a very valuable tool for advertising. It can save companies money and time and increase the effectiveness and results of their campaigns. Geolocation technology is a great investment for businesses looking to improve their bottom line.
The Future of Marketing and You
Marketing has evolved in many ways to adapt to the 21st Century. Geolocation is one of them. The online Master’s degree in Communication Technology at Point Park University is a great option for marketers who want to be leaders in the field. The program can be completed in just two years. This is a fast track to a new career.